What To Do With An Out Of State Speeding Ticket

out of state speeding ticketSeeing as the 4th of July is right around the corner, and people will be taking summer driving trips in record numbers this year, I thought it was a perfect time to discuss the topic of what to do with an out of state speeding ticket.

We've written extensively on what to do with a traffic ticket from another state, and even put together a FREE eBook for people who got a traffic ticket while visiting Florida from another state.  But I wanted to write for those people who are going to be traveling this summer and may get a speeding ticket after they cross state lines.

It's important to know that there is something called the Driver License Compact, which basically is a collection of states (there's only a few states that do not participate) that have agreed to share information between each other as it relates to traffic tickets, including speeding tickets.

In a nutshell, what it says is that the states that form the compact will agree to share information between each other; and if you get a ticket in one of the states, it will be treated as if it were received in your home state, as long as the violation exists in your home state. 

So if you happen to get a ticket in another state for something wacky like driving a black car on Sunday (supposedly illegal in Denver . . . look it up) and your state doesn't have that law, then the violation won't transfer. 

However, if you get a speeding ticket, and every state has a speeding ticket statute, then you will have to deal with it.  And dealing with it should not mean paying it.  The points will transfer to your home state and your insurance will probably increase.

My advice?  Look into fighting it.  It's simple enough to do. Get on the internet and find a local traffic attorney who will give you a realistic opinion of your case and the expected outcome and fee.  It must be fought in the place the ticket was given.  So if you don't want to drive back to defend yourself, a traffic attorney is the perfect solution.

Whatever you do, don't let an out of state speeding ticket ruin your summer vacation.  Get out there and enjoy that road trip.

If you want to speak to a Florida Traffic Attorney, give me a call at 800-489-4125.  If you want more information, check out my out of state eBook.


Click me



Related Articles:

Out of State Traffic Ticket Information

How To Avoid Points On Your Florida Driver's License From Out Of State Traffic Tickets

Have You Ever Gotten a Speeding Ticket in Another State?