traffic ticket blog

What we think . . .

DSC 0340

Barry D. Kowitt is one of the founding partners at Unger & Kowitt, where they have helped over 500,000 people fight back. 

In this blog, he shares with you his views on the traffic ticket system, as well as providing traffic ticket solutions that really work, no gimmicks. Hint: saying "my car doesn't go that fast" isn't going to cut it.


Your email:

Got a ticket?

Download our FREE 25 page eBook, and learn everything you need to know to get it dismissed

traffic ticket eBook

Like Us on Facebook and save $$$

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

If I get a ticket in another state, what should I do?


out of state ticketHaving our offices in the southern part of Florida, you may not think we get asked about driving into another state and receiving a traffic ticket, but you'd be surprised.  Whether you are out of town on business in a rental a car, or if you decided to pack the family up for a long road trip out of Florida in your own car, getting a ticket in another state can have an impact on your driver's license.

Therefore, before you can call and ask "What should I do if I get a ticket in another state?" Because I like you, I'll tell you now.

The first question you must answer is "Which state is the one where you received your current driver's license?"  Let's call that your "home" state.  You then need to determine how your "home" state treats tickets received outside of your "home" state (i.e. in another state).

Every state is different and you may want to check your state's Department of Motor Vehicles Website.  For Florida, you can CLICK HERE, but again, because I'm feeling especially generous, I will save you some time and give you the answer. 

If Florida is your "home" state, be advised, Florida treats any ticket received outside of Florida as if it was given in Florida.

So, in case that was confusing, if you have a Florida license, and you get a speeding ticket in Georgia (or any other state not named Florida), and you pay that ticket, you will get points on your Florida license.  The reason, and I hope you're getting this, is because, speeding tickets in Florida carry points if you pay it.

This is why, for those of you who get tickets outside of Florida and have a Florida license, you must fight that ticket with a local traffic attorney.  If you cannot find an attorney, as a last resort, you can elect traffic school, but there are restrictions on that, so again, you need to check the Florida DMV website about out of state traffic school.

If you are still confused, no worries, we're here to help.  And even though we don't handle matters outside of Florida, if you have a Florida license, we can still offer you some free legal advice. You can call us at 954-370-9999 or email me at

Related Posts:

Contact Blog Author


This is informative. My new husband got a ticket in new jersey where I currently live until my daughter graduates for careless driving in snow storm. The cop was out of his jurisdiction and was inappropriately screaming at us when we tried to fight his allegations for a quota ticket. Now, we have opened an internal affairs case, requesting tapes from his vehicle to prove he lied about location and his behavior. Until then my husband has to stay in town til Jan 2, in the event they try to postpone and he has to go back to florida we do not know what to do. Can you suggest anything.
Posted @ Thursday, December 19, 2013 3:17 AM by Diana Yepez
Thanks for commenting. You've given me a lot there. I assume your husband has a Florida Driver's license. If that is the case, as the article said, if it's not dismissed, Florida will treat the ticket as if it was given in Florida. You're already taking action to try and get it dismissed. You may want to try and find an attorney in NJ who can assist you. 
Good Luck. 
Posted @ Friday, December 20, 2013 3:03 PM by Barry Kowitt
Post Comment
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics