traffic ticket blog

What we think . . .

DSC 0340

Barry D. Kowitt is one of the founding partners at Unger & Kowitt, where they have helped over 500,000 people fight back. 

In this blog, he shares with you his views on the traffic ticket system, as well as providing traffic ticket solutions that really work, no gimmicks. Hint: saying "my car doesn't go that fast" isn't going to cut it.


Your email:

Got a ticket?

Download our FREE 25 page eBook, and learn everything you need to know to get it dismissed

traffic ticket eBook

Like Us on Facebook and save $$$

Current Articles | RSS Feed RSS Feed

How Long Does a Speeding Ticket Stay On Your Record



how long does a speeding ticket stay on your record

One of the questions we ask everyone before they hire us is "how's your driving record?"  More often than not, the response is "perfect." 

Having come across very few actual "perfect" records, we have learned to ask follow up questions that usually lead to a person saying something like "Well, I have no points on my license," or "I haven't had a speeding ticket in years."  Both of which are nice to hear, but unfortunately, doesn't mean that the person has a "perfect" record.  It means most people really don't understand how the driving record system works. 

If I asked you "How long does a speeding ticket stay on your record?" would you know the answer?

Well, don't worry, my job here on this traffic ticket blog isn't to try and trick you, it's to educate you.  So here goes.

Your driving record, is your record FOREVER.  That ticket your received when you were 16 . . .it's on there.  The speeding ticket you thought no one knew about because you went to traffic school . . . it's on there.









 When we run a person's record, because they swore they never had a ticket, there is always that weird moment, when I bring up a speeding ticket from their past and the response is "Oh, I didn't think that was still on there."

Part of the confusion is that the points that you may have received from paying a ticket or from a judge, will only stay on your record for 3 years, but your record is your record forever. 

According to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, speeding ticket violations, where a person elected traffic school, has to stay on the record forever, because the state has to keep track of how many times you went to school.

Other speeding ticket results will be on your record for 75 years (which is essentially forever, because even if you got your speeding ticket at 16, that would mean you'd be 91 when it came off the record and who are we kidding, you probably shouldn't be driving at 91)

Here's another question.  "How long does a speeding ticket stay on your record if you hire a traffic attorney to fight it and it gets dismissed?"  HA! That's a trick question.  By fighting a speeding ticket successfully and getting the case dismissed, it will NEVER appear on your record. 

See why I preach to ALWAYS FIGHT YOUR TICKETS.  So if you have a speeding ticket and think it's no big deal to just pay it and go to school, think again.  Getting that ticket dismissed is the only way to keep it off your driving record.  That's why, before you do anything, you should go get a free consultation with a traffic attorney.


Speeding Ticket?  Click Here


Related Articles: 

Want to know how long a ticket stays on your record?  It's longer than you think

Why You Should Always Call a Traffic Ticket Attorney For Your Ticket

Three Things Everyone Must Know Before They Pay a Traffic Ticket

How to Fight a Speeding Ticket. . .and Win in Florida

Contact Blog Author


You can always get a lawyer to help reduce your traffic ticket.
Posted @ Monday, December 05, 2011 2:00 AM by Speeding Ticket St Louis MO
When you fight a ticket and the judge orders court cost, dose that count as a dismissal?
Posted @ Monday, September 10, 2012 2:14 PM by P
Perry, thank you so much for asking that question. I have blogged on it before, but always welcome an opportunity to explain it again. The answer is "NO" it does not count as a dismissal. There is a big misconception being perpetrated by other traffic ticket law firms that want to look like they are getting almost ever case dismissed.  
The truth is, only when a case is completely dismissed (and you don't have to pay anything additional) should it count as a dismissal. If you have to pay money, the case probably had the adjudication withheld (adjudication being the guilt). So the defendant was not found "guilty," but that's not the same as the defendant being found "not guilty." 
I hope that explains it. It can appear complicated, but it really isn't. It's unfortunate that some attorneys, in an attempt to look like they got a better result than they did, misinform their clients. 
Barry Kowitt
Posted @ Monday, September 10, 2012 4:31 PM by Barry Kowitt
how can i get the points off my licesence
Posted @ Sunday, December 16, 2012 8:52 PM by steven
I received a speeding ticket in FL. 11 years ago and didn't pay. If I try to get a Florida license, will I go to jail or will anything happen to me if I try? 
Posted @ Monday, January 07, 2013 7:52 PM by Todd
You will not go to jail, but you will have to pay money (shocking, I know). My advice is to have someone drive you to the clerk's office in the county where your unpaid ticket is from. Pay to have the suspension lifted and get your clearance, and then take that to DMV and reinstate your license. 
If you have further questions, give me a call at 800-489-4125.
Posted @ Tuesday, January 08, 2013 2:42 PM by Barry Kowitt
Hello, I received a series of speeding tickets in my younger years 2 in which were reckless driving and 2 were speeding plus a few improper mufflers and hov violations things of that nature. Some of these have dropped off my record in the sense that when doin a public search they are no longer visible as they were this same time a year ago. From the research ive done Ive learned a minor traffic ticket usually remains for 3 years while a class 1 misdemeanor stays on for 5 - 10 years. With this said Ive got some infractions that have been on for 7 years now and still public. So how does this truly work. I know its not possible to ahve this record expunged but is it possible to seal the records? Thank you for your time.
Posted @ Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:41 PM by Justin
In New Jersey - How long does the offense 39:4-67 obstructing passge of other vehicles stay on your dmv record? Or it never gets expunged? If it does fall off the record - should the insurance company remove the surcharge they had given you when you applied for insurance while that offense was on your record? 
Posted @ Thursday, January 24, 2013 8:24 PM by Lauren
Your driving record is your record forever. If you look at your complete driving history, you will see everything. Some things can be sealed and expunged. Call my office to see if this option can help you remove something from your record. 800-489-4125. 
Thanks. Barry Kowitt
Posted @ Monday, January 28, 2013 5:55 PM by Barry Kowitt
I had a ticket for an at fault accident dismissed completely on 1/16/13. I had to pay nothing. I went for a job today and the accident is still showing on my MVR report. It shows the issue date, but the conviction date is blank. Does it take a while to upload the dismissal?
Posted @ Monday, January 28, 2013 6:09 PM by Matt
Thanks for the question. Sadly, if you were involved in an accident (even if you didn't receive a ticket) there will always be a mark on your record showing that you were involved in an accident. If the ticket was dismissed, it should not show that you were issued a citation.
Posted @ Monday, January 28, 2013 6:14 PM by Barry Kowitt
I have tickets that have been paid off. My question is now that the ticket is paid off can I hire an attorney to see if its possible of getting it removed from my record.
Posted @ Saturday, February 02, 2013 11:50 AM by Luis Martinez
If I got a speeding ticket and I did not show up in court that very same weekend I got a job that was going to look into my driving record and see any infractions. Will the ticket show up in his search ? And how long does it take affect and show up on my recorded ?
Posted @ Monday, February 18, 2013 8:12 AM by Alex
Hello, I am trying to get a job driving and I don't have any points left on my record but when the company I am trying to get a job through did a search they found my carless driving ticket from back in 2007. They said if I could get that removed they would hire me. Is there a way to get it removed?
Posted @ Monday, March 11, 2013 3:27 PM by Kim Livesay
Hi Barry, 
I got a ticket two months ago, my speed was 74 on 60 in a road speed keep changing between 60 & 70. I decided to go to court and requesting a deferral so as to keep my record in good shape. Unfortunately the judge said we don't do deferral, he just reduced the fine amount. I paid the reduced fine and failed to keep it out of my record..  
Is there any way to take it out of my record now?? 
Posted @ Friday, April 12, 2013 4:43 AM by A. Sati
I received a speeding ticket 2 years and 2 months ago and did traffic school and as I was changing my insurance carrier, I noticed that it was still on my record with a point. I went to both the DMV and courthouse (soo annoying standing in line) and had the traffic school retransmit my proof of completion. The traffic school said they transmitted back then and did it again last week. I went to the traffic court again and they still say they dont have it... My question is.. should i just cut my losses and wait another 8 months when it's three years. At the three year mark, will my point just go away? That's my question I guess bc I can't keep on running around saying they did this and they said that. thanks soo much!!
Posted @ Friday, April 12, 2013 11:52 AM by shannon
Whew! I feel your pain. Just curious why you can't get proof from the traffic school that you completed the course and take it to the Clerk yourself? At least that way you can verify that it was received. I wouldn't wait 8 months because you will see a reduction in your insurance (or at least you should). 
Good Luck. Barry
Posted @ Friday, April 19, 2013 3:49 PM by Barry Kowitt
I received 2 tickets one was 2.5 years ago for speeding, and the other was like 2.8 years ago for reckless driving both while on my motorcycle. I just paid all my fines off plus the fee to have my license reinstated. Well to weeks later I receive a letter saying my DL may be suspended again because I have reached 16 points. The tickets will be 3 years old this year, but now they're telling me they will remain on my record for another 3 years since I just paid them conviction date!! So when someone checks my record it's reading like I just received 6 tickets all within a years time....although in reality I only received 2 tickets several months apart, and somehow the system have separated my 2 tickets into several different charges reading like multiple tickets...."I'm all confused, and I just want to know what can I do to fix this?
Posted @ Friday, April 19, 2013 9:19 PM by MICHELLE
In the state of California what type of traffic violations appear as citaions in the court records? If yes, do they reamain there forever or do are they removed after a specific period?
Posted @ Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:27 AM by M
I had purple headlights. I didn't know it was illegal in Wisconsin so I got a warning for it, but my one year one was sitting on passenger seat. I got a ticket and was wondering if it will be on my driving record? If so, then for how long? Should i also fight for it to lower the price and get it off my record if its there?
Posted @ Friday, April 26, 2013 12:36 AM by Crystal
I have unpaid tickets are 10-7 yrs old. Once I pay them will my auto insurance increase being they are so old?
Posted @ Friday, April 26, 2013 11:37 AM by Flo
I received a ticket for a red light violation in 2009. I crossed an intersection and got caught by the cameras. I took an online traffic school course and also paid the $496.00 penalty fee. The violation is still on my record. Is it going to be there forever or is the a way I can have it removed. Do I need to get a lawyer for this, can I do it myself, or just leave it alone? Thanks Leo
Posted @ Tuesday, May 21, 2013 3:26 PM by Leo
What is the best way to look up past traffic violations in order to report them on a background check?
Posted @ Thursday, May 23, 2013 2:14 AM by Recon Jack
I got a speeding ticket for 96 in a 65 from what I can read on the ticket (officers writting is horrible) the violation code was 22349(a) the had some stuff I can't make out after it then the infraction box is circled. I hav two speeding tickets on my record and 2 fix its I believe. Any ideas what the consequences will be or how I should proceed?
Posted @ Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:40 AM by Garry
Btw I live in California and I got the ticket 100mi from home.
Posted @ Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:42 AM by Garry
My son was in a car accident. The other driver went through the red light and the accident report states this fact. The motor vehicle reports him as having an accident. It doesn't report that it was not his fault; it just says that he had an accident. He was just turned down for a position because of the Motor Vehicle Report. Can this accident be expunged?
Posted @ Monday, July 22, 2013 7:31 PM by JoAnn
"3 years", Oh No. That's quite long for a speeding ticket. You've got a great input in here indeed. Totally amazing.
Posted @ Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:48 AM by car concern
I missed one payment and the court forfeited my right to take traffic school to have the ticket dismissed.I called the court and the clerk told me to go ahead and take traffic school so i did. The ticket still showed on my record so my question is,is there anyway to get that removed or am i stuck with that on my record for life.
Posted @ Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:52 AM by reginald pitts
Reginald, unfortunately, there's really no way to have the ticket removed from your license. Even attending school will not remove it from your record.  
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 
Posted @ Friday, October 11, 2013 2:02 PM by Barry Kowitt
Can you have a speed ticket expunged or sealed ? Meaning I don't want it to be seen on my Dmv record.
Posted @ Tuesday, October 15, 2013 11:58 PM by richard
It is possible to have a motion filed which can, in some circumstances, result in a ticket not appearing on your license. However, it's extremely rare and would mean a new trial was given and the case was dismissed. Again, it's possible, but highly unlikely. 
Posted @ Saturday, October 19, 2013 10:27 AM by Barry Kowitt
got 1 speeding ticket 8 years in a county ware i do not live.a law frim for the court is sending me this ticket valed after 8 years?
Posted @ Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:46 PM by dondi wafford
I had a speeding ticket in 09 for going 5 over the speed limit and one in 2010 for going 15 over both of which my insurance company is looking at for my ins premiums. Arent those supposed to be removed and not held against me where one is 4 yrs old and the other one is a little more than 3?
Posted @ Saturday, November 02, 2013 11:33 PM by Lisa
Thanks for your question. As I've stated, your record is your record forever. Most judges will only look to the past three years, but they can go back as far as they want. Same with insurance companies. Points, on the other hand, will fall off after 3 years and that should make a huge difference in your rates. I would get another insurance quote if the company you are dealing with isn't giving you a fair shake. 
Good Luck. 
Posted @ Tuesday, November 05, 2013 5:13 PM by Barry Kowitt
I live in Louisiana, I got two speeding tickets in the same night on was on a pitch black road and needless to say i was more worried about what was in front of me not paying attention to every sign i passed up. And the second one i was doing 58 in a 45 but when i was pullrd over the speed limit sign to go 55 was within feet of my and i knew it was coming up. Would it be worth traveling back to these towns a fighting the tickets myself because i can not afford an attorney rite now?
Posted @ Tuesday, December 03, 2013 1:54 AM by david landry
Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, I am not licensed to practice in LA, so I can't answer legally. However, if these were in Florida, I can tell you that what you described (for both) is not a legal defense. Something to think about. Try to speak to an attorney locally. Thanks and good luck. 
Posted @ Tuesday, December 03, 2013 4:23 PM by Barry Kowitt
I have a few speeding tickets on my driving record; but all of them are paid. I work for a child agency which requires me to drive. Is there anyway I can return to court to get these removed or get supervision? All convictions have been within three years or less. Thank you, Denise 
Posted @ Friday, December 20, 2013 8:53 PM by Denise
I forgot to mention, all driving offenses were committed in Illinois. 2 in Cook county, and 1 in Dupage county. Thanks again, 
Posted @ Friday, December 20, 2013 8:58 PM by Denise
I got a ticket (in Florida) by an aircraft using stop-watch. What is the best option for me at this point? Should I hire a lawyer to challenge? or some other option?  
Posted @ Monday, December 23, 2013 8:46 PM by sami
Aircraft cases are great cases to fight because instead of one officer, you need both to be present in court. As a result, I would love to talk to you about it and highly recommend you fight this ticket with a lawyer. 
Feel free to call my office at 800-489-4125. 
Posted @ Friday, January 10, 2014 5:04 PM by Barry Kowitt
Thanks for your question. You mentioned these tickets were in Illinois and I'm not licensed to practice there and as a result, am not as familiar with how they handle situations like this. I know in Florida, it is very difficult to remove points once they are on a record. It can be done, but only through the courts and with a motion. Best bet, try to find an attorney up there who may be able to help you. 
Posted @ Friday, January 10, 2014 5:07 PM by Barry Kowitt
For operating a motor vehicle with an expired tag, I received a ticket for 
$46 back in 2000 in Orlando, FL. I now see something called "conversion adjustment" 
for 99 cents online in the "Financials" section. What does this mean? Is FL saying 
I now owe them 99 cents more? I have not lived in the state since 9/2009.  
Here is what I saw tonight online at the Orange County court site:  
Defendant [my name] 
Total Financial Assessment 46.00 
Total Payments and Credits 46.00 
Balance Due as of 01/11/2014 0.00 
04/04/2000 Transaction Assessment 46.00 
04/04/2000 Payment Added for 
Conversion Only Receipt # XXX... [my name] (46.99) 
11/07/2009 Conversion Adjustment 0.99 

2nd question: I am shocked to see two traffic tickets I paid in Collier in 
2008 still showing up online at their court site. Is there a time period when 
these public records are no longer public records on a court site? I did not even 
go to court on these tickets; I just paid the fine. Why do traffic tickets 
show up on court sites in FL?  
Thank you,
Posted @ Saturday, January 11, 2014 7:11 PM by Susan
I've never heard of a "conversion adjustment." This has to do with money owed and nothing "legal" as far as I can tell. You can call the clerk's office to discuss that. As for the other question, traffic tickets stay on your record forever.  
Thanks. Barry
Posted @ Monday, January 13, 2014 10:53 AM by Barry Kowitt
I had gotten 2 tickets the year before last due to speeding while working for a home health agency. I attempted to do traffic school for one and did the second one in 2 payments but the first one I did school too late and the second one I did not make the second payment. I am worried they will arrest me if I go there to fix it. What do I do?
Posted @ Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:59 PM by Ellie
Thanks for the question. I'm not sure if this in Florida, and I'm also confused by the attempt to do school for one and the second in 2 payments. Not sure what you're trying to say. But, in Florida, you will not be arrested for trying to fix it, but if your license is suspended don't drive or you could be arrested. 
Posted @ Wednesday, February 12, 2014 6:10 PM by Barry Kowitt
I was just offered a position where I need to be an authorized driver. In 2007, I was involved in an at-fault accident, and got 2 speeding tickets. One was speeding in excess of 100 mph. I completed the requirements of the suspension and carrying the SR-22. When the company ran my MVR they saw all of those tickets and also several from many years prior. I spoke with the DMV in Sacramento (Btw, I am in CA), they looked at my record and were able to remove the older tickets/points from my record, and she explained to me that the points from 2007 would be eligible to be removed in November of this year. Is it possible to go to court and request an early removal of those points with a judges approval? I have not received a ticket or have been pulled over since 2007. 
Thank you, 
Posted @ Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:22 PM by Kevin
Kevin, in Florida, where I'm licensed, it would not be possible. But from what you've explained in your comment, things are very different in CA. You may want to try and call a CA lawyer or go to the clerk's office and ask them if you can file something for a judge to consider. 
Good Luck. 
Posted @ Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:46 AM by Barry Kowitt
i received a speeding ticket in wyoming, i live in nevada. the officer clocked me at 102 and wrote i was doing +6 over the speed limit. he marked the box that i must appear. what can i do to avoid going. I just started my job and i cant take time off and i do not want to drive 14 hours. I just want to pay it?
Posted @ Monday, February 24, 2014 4:46 PM by karla
Unfortunately, I'm only licensed to practice law in Florida and can't give you advice other than to tell you to try and find a lawyer in Wyoming who can appear on your behalf. We have mandatory tickets in Florida and we appear so the clients don't have to. 
Good Luck. 
Posted @ Monday, February 24, 2014 5:02 PM by Barry Kowitt
I read your blog and was surprised to find that the tickets stay on your record forever. I got a ticket in California while holding a Florida driver license and want to know if that would show on my record too. Applying for a job so also wanted to know how to get a complete driving history. 
Posted @ Tuesday, February 25, 2014 5:00 PM by Monika
I received a traffic citation in New Mexico and not knowing any better, plead guilty to the ticket on the spot by signing the check box that indicated so. 
Is there any way to fight this or get it changed so I have a chance? Argue that I was not in the right state of mind and was panicked? I take my CDL driving very seriously and I may lose my job if this traffic citation goes through. It's literally all I have.
Posted @ Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:27 PM by Joshua Duerksen
Yes, if you get a complete driving record, it will have your entire history. If you go to Florida DMV, you should be able to get a copy of your record. It's about $16.00 for a complete record. 
Posted @ Wednesday, March 05, 2014 10:41 AM by Barry Kowitt
I don't practice law in New Mexico and can't give you an answer. sorry. In Florida, you don't plead on the spot, so it's totally different. 
Posted @ Wednesday, March 05, 2014 10:43 AM by Barry Kowitt
Okay. You stated that if you had a moving violation and you paid an attorney to fight for you,and you won, then it doesn't show up, well then why do mine show up? Can I get them taken off?
Posted @ Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:55 PM by David
If your case was dismissed, it will not show up. Are you sure when you use the word "won" that you are talking about a dismissal? What did your attorney tell you? If it was dismissed, and it's still showing up on your record, you can take the disposition from the court and bring it to the clerk and show them that it was dismissed and they should take care of it for you. 
Good Luck. 
Posted @ Thursday, March 06, 2014 3:28 PM by Barry Kowitt
I got stopped on December 21st 2013 for going 47 on a 35. I paid my ticket since it didn't require court appearance and went to traffic school on February 8th 4014. I recently got stopped again by a sheriff of just yesterday on the highway for going 83 on a 55 and had to post my license. This time I'm required to appear in court on March 24th 2014. The officer said the judge is most likely gonna lower the speeding ticket and I'll have to pay a fine since this is my second offense. Is that true? Or can I get a license suspension for having two tickets under three months and having to post my license on the second one? This all happened in the state of Illinois.
Posted @ Friday, March 07, 2014 2:22 AM by Diana
Thank you Barry. ( that's my fathers name)  
I don't have anything in writing, as a lot of these tickets were from like 2007, but I know that I got a letter in the mail and it stated that I won the case. I had received no points, no fees, nothing!! Im just curious why they are there and if I can have them removed.  
Thanks again
Posted @ Friday, March 07, 2014 6:11 AM by David
I'm sorry, but I can't answer your question because I'm only licensed to practice law in Florida, so as a result, am only familiar with Florida laws. Additionally, I'm only familiar with how courts treat tickets as it relates to fines and suspensions. I wish I could be more helpful. 
Good luck. 
Posted @ Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:39 PM by Barry Kowitt
Unfortunately, without proof, there isn't much anyone is going to be able to do for you. We see mistakes at the clerk's office all the time and it's only by bringing proof will they be corrected. 
I'm sorry. 
Posted @ Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:41 PM by Barry Kowitt
My car has been vandalized about 4 years ago and I filed claim. My car insurance quote still very high. 
how long this damn record will affect my insurance rates?
Posted @ Monday, March 24, 2014 11:26 PM by Brian
Sorry to hear about your car being vandalized. Unfortunately, I have no idea how long something like that will affect your insurance. You may want to ask your insurance agent. 
Posted @ Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:25 PM by Barry Kowitt
Hi I'm in California I got 2 tickets within 2 months, 1 speeding and one for not making.the complete stop . This happened last year. Both tickets are paid for my how long is this going to affect my high car insurance ? And is there anything I can do right now to remove those points on my DL? Like traffic school or its to late?
Posted @ Thursday, April 03, 2014 11:09 AM by Elizabeth
Hi I'm in California I got 2 tickets within 2 months, 1 speeding and one for not making.the complete stop . This happened last year. Both tickets are paid for my how long is this going to affect my high car insurance ? And is there anything I can do right now to remove those points on my DL? Like traffic school or its to late?
Posted @ Friday, April 04, 2014 3:12 PM by Elizabeth
Post Comment
Website (optional)

Allowed tags: <a> link, <b> bold, <i> italics